Total Pageviews

Friday, June 17, 2011

Mike's Car

i first saw my best friend Mike's  1955 Buick Special  after school one day. I heard the Beach Boys singing, "After six hours of school, I've had enough of the day. I hit the radio dial and turn it up all the way. I love to Dance.." it was an omen! There was Mike turning the radio up on his 1955 orange and green Buick Special; (he said the title said melon and turquoise, but you or I would call it orange and green). He motioned me over and I dug in my pocket for change. Those were the rules: If you wanted to ride, you helped pay for gas. When the car was full of riders, we'd buy gas for $.22/gallon and cruise Euclid.
The car had other features:
Mike could let the clutch out while he was coasting down hill, reach over and turn the key off and on and it would backfire with a loud bang -- at least until he did that while sneaking up on a junior classman and it also blew the muffler completely off the car.
And finally, it had a hole rusted in the front passenger floorboard, where if you weren't close to a convenienient stopping place, the passenger, male or female, could thereby find some relief, instead of wetting their pants, although occasionally a bystander might say something like,"hey, I think your radiator has a leak." None of these features were listed on the title.
Though long gone, it ranks right up there with Elvis' pink cadillac.

No comments:

Post a Comment